Sponge bundt cake:
4 large eggs
220g white sugar
100g melted unsalted butter
100g whole raw almonds
200g white sugar
- Let’s start with the orange topping: pour water and sugar in a large pan, stir until the sugar is completely melted.
- As soon as the sugar starts thickening, add the orange slices and let them boil for at least 15 minutes, then put them aside.
- Preheat the oven at 200°C, grease the donut pan and then line it with baking paper.
- To make the cake sponge base, combine sugar and eggs in a large bowl using an electric hand mixer for at least 15 minutes. Then add the melted butter and the sifted flour making a circular movement from the bottom upwards with a spatula.
- Coarsely crush your almonds using a food processor or put them in a plastic bag and hit it with a rolling pin. Then add them to the cake batter.
- Layer the orange slices in the donut pan, on top of the baking paper, overlapping a bit and working your way toward the outer edge (you may not need to use all the orange slices). Then then pour the batter into the donut pan.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 160°C and bake for at least 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the cake center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool upside down on a wire rack until warm (not hot), then remove the baking paper and let chill.
- Once cooled, serve the cake!
- You can also serve it drizzled with syrup, honey or melted dark chocolate.
Enjoy your luscious and super soft cake! 😉